Our world seems to be in limbo – and while we wait for it to even out, we’re left wondering what the new normal will look for us in the construction industry.
Many experts agree that the disruption to the global supply chain (most notably from China) will affect how American businesses source their pieces and parts in the future. A collective mindset shift back to domestic or North American suppliers and manufactures creates opportunities, especially within the construction industry. The surge in ordering “local” will demand new construction to fit the growing needs – that means new manufacturing, new warehouses, new distribution, etc. We need to prepare for the surge in projects that the future holds.
So, how are we preparing for this construction wave? With Design Build.
At its core Design Build projects save time and money by encouraging innovation and collaboration between the owner and project teams. As the fastest-growing delivery method in the construction industry, Design Build projects lend themselves perfectly to the impending, fast-track construction demand.
Here’s what sets Design Build projects apart:
- Nimble Decision Making: Working directly with the owner allows for increased communication and quicker, cleaner decision making. It also allows for flexibility in creating and implementing design changes.
- Time Savings: With one team running the design and implementation, design changes can be made on the fly and quickly adapted in the field, thus keeping the schedule on track. Design Build projects also allow for the owner’s wish list items to be incorporated upfront into the project, lessening later change orders.
- Collaboration and Communication: Unlike a traditional bid-spec project, the owner retains total control and empowers the team to work together for the best end result. All members of the project team also work together to provide their expertise and input in the design – allowing for solutions and innovative ideas that wouldn’t happen in a traditional process.
- Continuity and Accountability: When the entire project team is involved from start to finish, there is a level of inherent efficiency and understanding of the overall process. There’s also increased accountability as each team is responsible for their own portion. Overall, Design Build projects are focused on real results, not excuses.
- Experience: Lessons-learned from past projects and a deep understanding of manufacturing processes allow subcontractors to produce well-rounded designs and a successful end-product.
So, what can we do now?
Now is the perfect time for design – with teams being remote, functional, productive, and not weighed down by current ongoing projects and construction schedules, it’s the best time to get ahead. Our team is open for questions, quotes, and recommendations on future projects. We’re here to help in whatever way you need to ensure that collectively, we’re capitalizing on this time.
Have questions on a new opportunity or build in the future? We’d love to talk.