Sustainability is more than a trend or a buzzword.
Instead, it's a value-driven principle that should be embedded across your business strategies, operations, and culture.
Did you know that more than one-third of the energy in the United States is consumed by manufacturing companies? While many large manufacturers have seen and implemented the benefits of sustainable and energy-efficient work practices, their smaller counterparts have lagged behind. Many small to mid-sized manufacturers have not yet understood OR implemented practices around energy efficiency and sustainability. All sizes and types of manufacturing facilities have the potential for energy-saving productivity gains.
The reality is that energy efficiency helps manufacturers save money, motivate staff, and improve operations, all while boosting the bottom line. Lack of awareness, misinformation, and conflicting priorities often result in manufacturers' overconsuming energy and overspending. By understanding and recognizing the benefits of energy efficiency, you can start to make incremental changes to your systems and processes that yield long term energy and cost savings.
Benefits of Sustainability
With energy and power being some of the most significant overhead costs, it's important to understand where the power you use is spent. Through purposeful investments and improvements, you'll be able to use your energy more efficiently, spend less on energy bills, reign in production costs, and gain a return on your investment, all while remaining competitive.
By optimizing and allocating your resources efficiently you can maximize your equipment's output, thereby increasing productivity, efficiency, and production.
By being mindful of energy and sustainable work practices, you can meet environmental standards while also helping conserve the earth's natural and non-renewable resources. By showing responsible stewardship in your processes, you'll make a positive impact on the environment.
Customers are increasingly aware of sustainable and environmentally ethical companies and show their favor in their buying choices. A better reputation in the marketplace means more return in your pocket and helps boost your recruitment power.
Improving the sustainability of your current systems and processes requires creativity and innovation. This provides your team the opportunity to re-evaluate your old processes and integrate industry-wide improvements across the board.
- Managed risks
- Long term business viability and success
- Easier employee retention and hiring
- ArcelorMittal, the world's largest steel producer, has saved $257 million annually by relying on energy-saving technologies.
- Cummins, a US-based manufacturer of heavy duty engines, components, and power generators, has saved over $40 million annually through their energy-saving efforts.
- Cargill, an agri-food processor, has slashed energy by 16%, saving more than $100 million over the last 20 years.
Sustainable Services We Offer
- Electric car charging station installation, maintenance, and upgrades
- Lighting upgrades
- Lighting maintenance
- Lighting control system installation, maintenance, and upgrades
- Building management system installation, maintenance, and upgrades
- VFD installation
- Parking lot lighting installation, maintenance, and upgrades
- LEED-certified designs
- NEDC-compliance designs and energy code requirements
- Solar design and installation
- Sensor, controls, automation, and robotics upgrades and improvements for energy systems
- Pump system optimization
- Energy-efficient motors
The costs associated with energy-efficient and sustainable work practices are dropping. With many rebate and incentive programs available, creating a sustainable facility has never been easier. Check out the different rebate and incentive programs below—let us know if you have any questions!
Related Case Studies
Our team offered valuable services and experience throughout all project phases of the City of Grand Rapids’ new biodigester.
FZ added modern energy efficiency to the vintage Wealthy Street Theatre through the installation of photovoltaic (solar)
FZ’s design services and electrical construction expertise came in handy at Whirlpool’s new Corporate Headquarters campus
FZ completed the electrical work on Michigan State University’s $88.1 million, 7-story, 162,000 square foot Grand Rapids
FZ wired and installed the power and lighting systems in Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizers’ new corporate headquarters
Feyen Zylstra provided all of the electrical work as a Design Services partner on Bridgestone Tower, a 1,000,000 square